Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Nana

Today is my Nana's birthday. She's one of the most giving, kind, selfless, funny people I've been blessed with in my family. My childhood memories are filled with delightful moments spent with her. We've cooked, baked, swam, colored, shopped, laughed, painted nails, played dress up, sang, read stories, told stories, and more together. Nana 's face was always visible in the audience at each of my piano recitals. She came to every birthday party, visited me at home when I was sick, baked me yummy treats, taught me how to cook, shared her wisdom with me, and made me feel like I was the most important and special being ever made. I think she has a knack for making anyone she comes in contact with her to feel important and cared about.
I could have the worst day of my life, but after a few minutes at Nana's, eating a cookie from her cookie jar, and spending time with her and her bright personality I would feel refreshed and ready to go on.
Nana is constantly looking out for those around her. You could ask her to fly to the moon for you, and she would find a way to do it. She never asks for much in return. She honestly just wants her loved ones to be happy, healthy, and to sit down and enjoy one of her home cooked meals. Did I mention she's the best cook I know? I've been terribly sad that I've missed the last five Christmas Brunch's at her house. The food on Christmas morning is unspeakably delicious, but even if it wasn't, just sitting around Nana's dinning table you get filled up with love. She feeds your tummy and your soul. You never leave her house with an empty stomach or heart.
I can always count on a card, e-mail, phone call, or all three on special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries, or any other holiday with a little check, pictures, and kind note inside. When I get these notes it's like a warm hug reminding me that allthough Nana and I are now thousands of miles apart, she still thinks of me, cares for me, and would do anything she can to make sure I stay happy. I can think of no other person as thoughtful and kind as my Nana. I'm the luckiest Grand-daughter in the world, and hope that she knows how appreciated she is!
I think if everyone in the world followed my Nana's example, the world would be a much better place. If everyone cared for those around them with the passion she does, the world would be more peaceful, happier,and kinder.
Thank you Nana for making the world a brighter, friendlier place, and for always thinking of those around you. Your example astounds me, and I hope that someday I can live up to the example you have set for me. I also hope to teach Tralee to love and care for others in the selfless way you do. I'm so glad Tralee and you were able to sing songs and play together when I visited last summer. It's a memory I'll treasure forever! I only wish we lived closer so we could see you and eat your yummy food more often!

Happy Birthday Nana!!!!

Hugs and Kisses from Idaho!!!!

5 comments:

Boom said...

Leslie - You still have the knack with words. Lovely, just like you! Thank you for being you!

Love, Mom

amy said...

that was a great post. i had a hard time coming up with the right words - it's like there are no words that do justice to the type of woman she is!

Meagan said...

Sounds like your grandma is a wonderful person. I know I have asked you before, but I can't remember how you make your collages. Would you mind telling me? Thanks.

Leslie said...

I make the collages with picasa2. You can download it for free. It's a google toy . . . I think. Jimmy set it up on our computer, so if I'm wrong you can ask him or Amy.

Thanks Mom and Amy for your comments.

Nana said...

Leslie, I read your Blog this AM.
My eyes filled with tears to know I am so loved by my wonderful grand daughter. It makes me miss you and your family even more than ever.
Thank you for all the kind words and I want you to know it's so easy to love my wonderful family because they are sooooooooooo great