Monday, December 1, 2008

Wisconsin Trip Part One, and Other News (Prayers Needed)

Well, we made it safely to Wisconsin to visit my family. We spent Thanksgiving up north, or "up nord" how the locals say it. It was awesome to see my grandma and grandpa Stoehr, eat yummy food, play games, and hang out with family.

One of the games Jim and I like to play is cribbage. I don't really think you can consider yourself a member of the Jacobs family, unless you can play a mean game of crib. Cribbage also tends to be a game that reminds us of momentous occasions in our life. One time, shortly after Jim and I were married, we were playing crib on the floor of our married student housing apartments when Jim received a phone call. It was a family member letting us know his Grandpa Jacobs had died. We found it very interesting that as we were playing the very game Grandpa Jacobs was a master of, we found out about his passing.

When we were up north we were playing crib with some of my family on Saturday when Jim's phone rang. His sister Adrienne was on the other end and I heard her say, "I need to talk to you, it's important." I instantly felt a pit in my stomach. When Jim hung up the phone with Adrienne he looked at me and explained that his mom had an accident while repelling in St. George, UT. Her shoe became stuck in a crevice, and as she tried to pull it free, her foot came out of her shoe. The force sent her body flying and her head hit the rock wall. As Jim was explaining this to me Tricia was being life-flighted to the Salt Lake City hospital. She had not regained consciousness and there was blood on the brain. Upon hearing this news I instantly felt shock, fear, and disbelief. Then Jim said a family prayer.

In his prayer Jim not only prayed for his mom, but asked that those around Tricia, her family, siblings, and children, would be able to keep a level head, that they would feel at peace and calm with the knowledge that Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. He also asked that Tricia would be in the hands of capable doctors, and that, if it be His will, she would be able to make full recovery if Heavenly Father saw fit. While Jim was praying an instant calm came over me, I knew everything would be okay -- whatever the outcome of "okay" was. We also called Tricia's name into the temple prayer roll, and waited for more news.

Adrienne has been keeping us updated. Tricia has had surgery to relieve the pressure on her brain, but they're keeping her sedated for at least five days to allow her brain to heal. We understand she woke up once, for a short time, which is a good sign. It's odd being so far away while all this is happening, but I still feel calm and at peace. This calm has allowed Jim and me to continue to enjoy our vacation in Wisconsin. There is no guilt, no pressure, no panic, just peace. All we can do is continue to pray for Jim's mom, and wait for more info. I ask that you pray too and send your good thoughts Tricia's way.

We're grateful this Thanksgiving holiday that Jim's mom is still with us. We're grateful we're able to spend time with my family in Wisconsin. We're grateful for the knowledge the Gospel gives us, and the peace that comes with this knowledge. We grateful for family, friends, food, shelter, and the many many many blessings we have.

We finished our stay "up nord" and are now spending the rest of our vacation in my old home turf. My brother and his wife recently purchased a beautiful home in Fox Point (near the house I grew up in) and we're staying with them. It feels so familiar being back in Fox Point. This morning I saw the little golf cart garbage trucks that drive up and down every drive way to pick up people's trash. It's nice because you don't have to drag your garbage to the end of the road, you just need to put it out on your drive way and tiny little garbage trucks (about the size of a golf cart) will drive up every drive way and get it. Jim thought it was weird. I thought it was great seeing them again. I never thought I would get excited to watch the garbage get picked up!

We've also already eaten dinner at my Nana's and we have plans for more yummy meals there. You can't leave her home with an empty stomach, even if you try. I love being back in Wisconsin, but I'm sure towards the end of this trip I'll be anxious to get back home. Yes, even if home is in Idaho, a place I swore I'd never live.

Tralee's been great this trip. She loves her cousins Haylee and Brady, and she's even let Grandma Char Char babysit her while Jim and I went out. It's great.

I'm not sure if I'll post again before I get back home. I just wanted to share the news about Jim's mom and ask that you keep her in your prayers. I hope the rest of my blogging friends are well. Until next time. . .

9 comments:

Mary Ann Carlile said...

We'll be praying for your family. That is never good news to get. I am glad that you have had such a great time up north! Pretty soon we will have to learn how to talk like all of you northerners!

Joey Clements said...

I'm so sorry Leslie, I'll keep your family in my prayers. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your family and are having a great time. (((HUGS)))

Tricia's Family said...

Thanks to Jim's prayer, we're all feeling the same peace. What a blessing. We now have a blog to update family, friends, ward members, and co-workers on Trish's progress. prayersfortrish.blogspot.com Anyone can look at it. email it to anyone you know that wants info on her situation. Hopefully it will alleviate all the phone calls Jeff has been getting. XO Michelle

Necha said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Trisha's accident. We will be praying for her...and for your entire family!

Audie said...

I miss you BFF!!! I'm glad your Turkey Day vacation is going good and I hope and pray that Jim's mom gets better!! Have a safe trip back. See ya soon!

MattJulieGavin said...

Jim's mom & all of you are definitely in our prayers. I'm happy that you are able to feel some peace though. love you!

Hannah S said...

I am glad you had a great time in WI! I wish we could have been there too!

I am thinking of your mother-in-law. Let me know if there is anything I can do for them. I live in Murray. I noticed that is where she is now. Bring them meals, or anything.

Cassi and John said...

I know john has felt your prayers... Thank you guys. We love you!!!

Susan said...

Charlene told me about the accident and we will add our prayers to yours. Sounds worse that dreadful.