Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Conversation

Before we did the whole "let's see what the Easter bunny left" thing with the kid-os we sat them down and talked about the true meaning of Easter. I've been explaining the true meaning of Easter with Tralee a lot lately. I've showed her pictures, read stories, and watched movies about what Easter is really about. For some reason it's not clicking. Whenever I ask, "What's Easter REALLY about?" Tralee's answer has been, "It's about when the Easter bunny comes and leaves eggs and we find them." Usually I say something like, "Well, the Easter bunny does come, but he comes to help us celebrate something. What are we celebrating?" Tralee almost ALWAYS answers, "I don't know" (even if I JUST told her) and we go on to explain (again) about Jesus' atoning sacrifice and the miracle of His resurrection. Yesterday as I was explaining I took a new approach and said something like, "You know, like at Christmas we celebrate Jesus' birthday. Well on Easter we celebrate Christ being resurrected or His re-birth." Tralee's ears perked up when I mentioned Christmas and I thought maybe the whole Easter concept finally clicked. After waiting a few seconds to let it sink in I asked Tralee one more time, "So, what's Easter about?" Without hesitation Tralee exclaimed, "SANTA!" Looks like we still have some work to do.

****************************

After writing this I sat Tralee down with me and we watched some youtube videos about the true meaning of Easter. As we watched, I explained (AGAIN) what Easter is about and once more asked, "Why do we celebrate Easter?" I'm pleased to announce that she finally answered, "Jesus." We're making some progress people! Wahoo!

No comments: