Monday, April 11, 2011

Lullabies

When I was pregnant with Tralee I had a 30 minute commute to and from work. Besides keeping my eyes on the road and the old fivers at their ten and two positions, I occupied my time learning songs for my growing belly, or rather the baby inside my ever-growing stomach. And I wasn't just learning any old jingle, I had a few lullabies I wanted to master before my little bird hatched. The two lullabies I kept on repeat in the car, so I could get them just right before I birthed my first bambino were "Stay Awake" (the song Mary Poppins used to lull Michael and Jane to sleep), and "Baby Mine" (the song Dumbo's mom comforted him with). I mastered these lullabies on my commute, and before long I rocked my bundle of pink loveliness to sleep while singing to her, just as I had imagined I would.

Flash forward four years

I just helped Tralee brush the sugar bugs out, we read all about Kipper making his basket comfy, Tralee said a sweet little prayer, and we were down to the part of our bedtime routine where I sing Tralee a lullaby. Since Tralee is an opinionated four-year-old she usually requests what songs we sing before I tuck her in and kiss her goodnight. Tonight she began her requests with, "Sing the Mary Poppins one." So I started, and got a kick over what happened next. I think for the first time in the four years I've sung this lullaby to Tralee, she finally decided to listen to the lyrics instead of let the melody lull her into dreamland. Here's how it went down:

Me: (Singing) Stay awake don't rest your head . . .
Tralee: (Interrupting the song) But I'm tired. I really want to go to sleep.
Me: (Continuing as if nothing happened) Don't lie down upon your bed.
Tralee: (Interrupting once more) But I want to lie down. I'm really tired.
Me: (At this point trying really hard to keep a straight face) Though the moon drifts in the skies, stay awake don't close your eyes.
Tralee: But I want to close my eyes. I want to go to sleep.
Me: Though the world is fast asleep. Though your pillow's soft and deep. You're not sleepy as you seem. . .
Tralee: Yes I am!
Me: Stay awake, don't nod a dream. Stay awake don't nod and dream.
Tralee: I don't want to stay awake! I want to go to sleep. I'm really tired.

After having a nice chuckle I explained to Tralee that this song is kinda tricky by telling you not to do something you're really supposed to do. Not sure that she understood, but by the time we moved along to "Baby Mine" Stinks eyelids started to blink in the heavy way they do right before she drifts into dreamland.

I hope her dreams were as sweet as she is.

1 comment:

A Whit said...

That is so cute! Such a clever girl.