Friday, July 16, 2010

Carnival Day (among other wants)

Tralee changed a little bit in Cleveland. Before we left, she was still pretty timid about certain things. She did not like going on rides (unless they were the piggy-back variety), and she was nervous about other unfamiliar activities as well. I don't know what happened, if she just matured over night, or if she ate some magic beans or something, but Tralee has become quite the adventuresome little girl. Not only that, but she knows what she wants. Almost everyday we were in Cleveland, Tralee announced something else she wanted to do, see, or have.

"Mommy, I want to go camping."

"Mommy, I want to go to the beach."

"Mommy, I want to go on a balloon race." (Still not sure what this is.)

"Mommy, I want to go to the zoo."

"Mommy, I want to have a tea party."

"Mommy, I want a pillow pet. . . I want a ladybug pillow pet."

"Mommy, I want to go outside and catch fireflies."

"Mommy, I want to go swimming."

"Mommy, I want to go to the park."

"Mommy, I want to fly on an airplane."

"Mommy, I want to go to the carnival. I want to ride on the ferris wheel. I want to ride on the carousel on a purple horsey."

I want. I want. I want.

Sometimes her requests were simple and doable. Sometimes I told Tralee we would have to wait for Daddy to come back, so we could save some fun things to do with him. And sometimes I sang these lyrics to her,

"I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now!
Don't care how
I want it now.
Don't care how
I want it now!"


The last thing I wanted was a little Veruca Salt on my hands, and sometimes when Tralee's pleas for things border lined begging ("Please. Please. Please Mommy! I want a pillow pet so so so much."), I envisioned Oompa Loompas singing to me about my parenting skills (or lack thereof). At these times, a firm "no" was my response, followed by a glance to the imaginary Oompa Loompas as if to say, "See? I'm not one of THOSE parents." However, as far as the Pillow Pet goes, instead of "no," I think I said something along the lines of, "Maybe Santa will bring one for you at Christmas if you're a good girl."

Now, to look at it from my three-year-old's point of view, I thought most of her requests were fairly decent and doable. In fact, I already planned on a zoo trip. I KNEW Jim would want to visit the beach with the kids. We planned on camping when we returned to Idaho. Flying on an airplane would be accomplished when we flew home. We visited a park and chased fireflies on an almost daily basis. Tralee and I had a few little tea parties on our own. We swam. I got balloons for Jim when we welcomed him back. We let Tralee let go of them and told her it was a balloon race. The only thing left on her list of wants (besides a ladybug pillow pet, which Santa is now in charge of) was a trip to a carnival.

I told my Mom about Tralee's carnival request, and she informed me that there was a Kiddie Carnival in Cleveland. All the rides were for children 50-inches and under. I googled it, and discovered that it looked like a fun (and affordable) day for the kids. We told Tralee that on Friday we would be going to the carnival. All week she informed us, "I want to go to the carnival." We reminded her, "We're going to go on Friday." To which she would reply, "Oh. Ok. On Friday? I can't wait!" I liked her response, not very Varuca-ish (I want it now-ish) at all. I was pleased, and those darned Oompa Loompas stayed at bay. Well, except when Tralee asked for her fourth piece of chocolate out of the candy dish at my mom's work. I didn't want to deal with an Augustus Gloop ontop of a Varuca. . . but my child's love affair with chocolate is for a whole other blog post.

Friday came around and I was excited for Tralee. We told her it was the carnival day. As soon as we pulled up, and she saw the rides, we knew it was worth the twenty minute drive. Tralee's reaction was priceless. She gave real live "ooooos"and "ahhhhhs."

The first ride she wanted to go on was the Ferris Wheel.

She was also able to ride on a horsey (although it wasn't purple) on the carousal.

I believe Tralee rode every ride at the kiddie carnival. Hunter mostly watched, but he did ride a few as well. Not sure if he was all that impressed.









The highlight was when Tralee rode the little roller coaster. It was Tralee's first coaster, and she LOVED it!!! We got to ride with her, and I was laughing so hard at her reaction I cried. She screamed, giggled, and after riding it a few times, even lifted her arms in the air. I told Jim that watching Tralee on the roller coaster was like watching the definition of pure joy.


Check out the face in the picture above (hers, not mine. . . mine has a triple chin thing going on). Doesn't her face scream -- "I'm having the time of my life!!!!!"




We ended our carnival day with a family train ride around the park.
I'm so glad we were able to accomplish everything on Tralee's list of wants while on our little vacation in Cleveland (well. . . except for the pillow pet). Added bonus? We were able to cross everything off her list, and still keep her out of the Varuca zone. If Tralee keeps up the good behavior, I'm pretty sure Santa will be delivering that pillow pet in five short months.

5 comments:

Audie said...

Such a cute post! I loved your writing! Adorable pictures and I want to scoop Hunter up and mug on his cheeks!!

Cammi said...

SHe is loving EVERYTHING about those rides!! I love that she is so adventurous!!

Joni said...

Tralee is adorable. She is soooo excited about everything, and I love it! Great post!

Boom said...

Leslie,

This was pure joy to read! Thank you! Thank you so so so much!

Love, Mom

Boom said...

You forgot "I want to blow bubbles!"

Love Mom