Saturday, September 19, 2009

To My Fiesty Little Girl

My Dear Tralee,

I took this picture of you a year ago. I can't believe how much of you has changed! The few wisps of hair I so proudly pulled into pigtails have now grown into golden locks. That little dress I put you in as much as possible, wouldn't come close to fitting you now. Your baby-ness is slowly disappearing with each day, and it hurts my heart to see my first baby grow into a little lady. Then I look at this picture again and realize though you may be growing, so much of you remains the same. Look at your misplaced shoes, on the wrong foot. A sign that tells me you didn't want my help as you put them on yourself that morning. You still do that. Refuse my help for things you think you can do all by yourself. You have such fiery independence. You always have. You probably always will. I love how, in this image, your lips are pressed together in a proud sort of way as you make your way down the stairs. Look how even your eyes pierce the camera's lens as if to say, "See, I can do it myself!" I love your strong will, even though it can drive me bananas any day of the week. You have a drive to do things yourself, even if it means getting more and more frustrated as you try and fail, and try and fail, and try and fail, because deep down inside you know you'll eventually try and succeed. You're one of those souls who will never give up. This is good. Your confidence has come built right in. I don't need to make sure you have it. I just need to make sure it's properly nurtured, and will always be with you, because I want you to grow up and stay confident, fiery, and passionate. I also want you to know that it's okay to ask for help, that Mommy and Daddy will ALWAYS do our best to help you. We love you so much, and always will.

Love,

Your Mommy

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I love this post!

Jim said...

I don't know what to say Leslie! You are a wonderful daughter mother and person.

dad

Boom said...

She is all that! You do us proud!

mom